You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry, defending the fatherless and the oppressed, in order that man, who is of the earth, may terrify no more. – Psalm 10:17, 18
Human trafficking is the recruitment and transport of a child or adult for the purposes of sexual exploitation or forced labor. Sadly, there are more people enslaved today than at the height of the trans-Atlantic slave trade.
Human trafficking snapshot
- There are approximately 27 million slaves in the world today. (National Geographic, 2003)
- In 2005, cases of forced labor were documented in 112 countries worldwide. (U.S. Department of State, 2006)
- Nearly 2 million children are used in the commercial sex trade, where they routinely face sexual and physical violence. (UNICEF, 2006)
- The illegal industry of worldwide, human trafficking generates about $9.5 billion dollars each year. (Trafficking in Persons Report, 2005)
I know that the Lord secures justice for the poor and upholds the cause of the needy. – Psalm 140:12
If there is a situation that breaks the heart of God, it is the enslavement of His children. Join us as we pray for an end to this injustice, and for its victims.
- Pray for action: Dear Lord, just as You helped Moses and Aaron as they spoke boldly to Pharaoh on behalf of the Hebrew slaves in Egypt, help us speak up for modern-day slaves around the world.
- Pray for prevention: Dear Lord, most of us will never experience the kind of extreme poverty that millions of people live with every day. Help us to be understanding and compassionate toward their needs. Help us to love them in the way that You love them. Give us the will to make things better.
- Pray for protection: Dear Lord, You are a strong tower and a mighty fortress. Help Your rescued children feel safe and begin to heal. Protect them from those who seek to harm them.
- Pray for restoration: Dear Lord, Your Word shows that You bring new joy and hope where previously there was only shame and fear. We ask this for our brothers and sisters, who desperately need to accept that they can be made new.
- Pray for justice: Dear Lord, You demand justice for those who have been wronged. Give strength to those who investigate and prosecute traffickers. Encourage them when they are weary. Give courage to survivors when they are asked to testify against their former captors.
- Please pray that God will bring awareness to the Body of Christ around the world concerning modern-day slavery and the biblical mandate for Christians to seek justice.
- Please ask God to inspire and equip local government authorities to combat slavery.
- Please ask God to comfort all who are held in slavery and awaiting rescue. Please also pray for the full restoration of those who have been rescued.
* Adapted from a World Vision resource